Country Lines Improvement Program (CLIP)
The Department is calling for expressions of interest for the second round of the Inland Rail Interface Improvement Program (II Program). The second round will open on Monday 17 August 2020 and close on Friday 18 September 2020.
The aim of the Country Lines Improvement Program (CLIP) is to propose improvements to country lines that intersect with Inland Rail, with a view to potentially accommodating longer, heavier and faster trains.
CLIP project proposals will be assessed against their contribution to meeting the following principles:
- Increase Inland Rail throughput, helping to maximise the benefits realised through the project, drive modal shift from road to rail and safeguard the Commonwealth’s substantial equity investment.
- Deliver cost-effective improvements to freight movements through strategic investment, based on independent technical advice and in consultation with state governments and track managers.
- Support regional economic growth by funding the development of local infrastructure that increases the competitiveness of regional economies and supply chains.
- Support partnerships between Commonwealth and state governments with local government and industry, and include as appropriate shared funding responsibilities, appropriate risk allocation and improved data sharing.
- Improve safety for road users through increased use of rail to move freight.
- Support National Freight and Supply Chain Priorities, enabling productivity improvements of Inland Rail-connected country rail services through standardised train fleets, harmonisation of below-rail maintenance initiatives, and the use of longer and heavier trains that take advantage of economies of scale opportunities.
An Expression of Interest submission need not address all principles, however, your submission will be strengthened by addressing as many principles as possible.
View the list of successful project proposals from the first expressions of interest round.
Examples of potential proposals under the Country Lines Improvement Program could include:
- Developing or reinstating a rail connection to connect a country rail line to Inland Rail.
- Developing or reinstating a rail connection to connect a freight terminal and production facility to a branch line or Inland Rail.
- Upgrading a country rail line connecting to Inland Rail to allow heavier, longer or faster freight trains.
- Extending a rail siding at freight terminal or production facility to allow longer trains and/or improve train loading times.
- Reinstating a non-operational country rail line to connect with Inland Rail.
A single proposal could involve a combination of these initiatives.